Wednesday, February 13, 2019

#52Ancestors - LIBRARY - Surname Books

LIBRARY


I've only had a few opportunities to research in a genealogical library.  There were a couple of rushed visits to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and a longer, more focused, visit to the Allen County Public Library (ACPL) in Fort Wayne, IN.  It's definitely something I would love to do again.

But genealogy books have always been in my home, both as a child and as an adult.  So I am happy to use them in the libraries I visited.  I was especially excited to find the book that my father had worked on with his distant cousin, Mayo Bundy.


These kinds of books are invaluable when trying to dig deeper into family lore and relationships.  It was a thrill to find a copy in the ACPL.

There are also several books on my mother's side written by those studying the Hammon and Belnap family.  Here is one I've had on my shelves through the years - Gold Medal Pioneers - full of journal entries from when they crossed the plains to Utah.


When you run into a deadend while looking for records, search for a book instead!  Or at least visit a library.


1 comment:

  1. I’m aware of one genealogy book that my Dad worked on back in the 1950s with Margaret Heaney Stubbs Atwood. He took her around Maine cemeteries and photographed tombstones for her. Have tried to get a copy of the book, but it is out of print and libraries who have the book do NOT loan it and so do not have access to it . . . But may be able to do so later when travel is more possible. I am lucky that I have my Dad’s notes that he took at the time.

    Congratulations on your find.
    Deborah Stubbs Brown

    ReplyDelete